Okay, please don’t take this the wrong way. I never hope to anyone that their house burns down. But, if it did…what 5 items would you grab? Maybe a more positive way to look at this would be… if you could only keep 5 things from your house, what would they be?
Here are the 5, or 6, no wait 7 things I would grab before heading out the door.
1. Computer – I live on my computer. I probably spend too much time on it each day, but I’m doing what I like to do. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 inch screen. It’s been pretty good to me over the last 2 years. The hard drive is a bit flaky, so I make sure to back up my files onto a Flash Drive.
2. Water – I’m always drinking water. Up to 80 oz. per day. I love water, any kind. Pools, oceans, lakes, rain. No I don’t drink from all of these, but I enjoy them. I usually drink bottled water. I’ve wanted to experiment with a Brita so I could start drinking the tap water from my sink. Looks like I have a trip to Target planned after I’m done writing!
3. Golf Ball/Putter – Yep I’m a golfer, if you didn’t know. I would make sure to grab a golf club before leaving my house because this is my favorite sport. I’ve played 18 holes each of the last two days in the hot, humid, Indian summer we have going here in Iowa. I’ve always enjoyed golf because it’s so challenging, and I need a challenge to keep myself moving forward. It’s taught me great skills like patience, honesty, integrity, and confidence.
4. The Art of Non-Conformity – Written by Chris Guillebeau in 2010, the cover of this book says “Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World.” Well Chris got me with the cover! Chris is what most people would deem a wild man. His goal is to visit every country in the world by age 35 (2013). That’s being remarkable, and pretty badass in my opinion. He’s a full time author/world traveler. He’s also written e-books titled A Brief Guide to World Domination, and 279 Days to Overnight Success. Interested yet? Email me at email@example.com and I’ll forward you the downloadable version of 279 Days to Overnight Success. It’s 70 pages of pure goodness. Include in the email why a non-conforming lifestyle is appealing to you. Check out The Art of Non-Conformity website at www.chrisguillebeau.com/3×5/
5. Notebook – I’m a voracious note taker when I’m reading or listening to something I’m interested in. Writing things down is the only way I seem to remember them. I fill up notebooks worth of notes and I keep them around. I always write the date at the top of the notebook page I am writing. I figure in 10 or 15 years it will be pretty cool to look back at what I was trying to accomplish at a given point in my life.
6. Sketchers Outdoor Slippers – I wear these every single day. I wear them with jeans, khakis, or shorts. I don’t wear them in the snow (unfortunately), but they make for good indoor slippers in the wintertime. They are awesome on the beach, or in a kayak. One of the things I like so much about them is that I feel like I’m barefoot in them. Shoes have a tendancy to crunch our feet and toes, which can actually lead to bad posture. The feeling of barefootedness (word?) is something I love. Anyone with me?
So I would grab 6 things before exiting my house in a fire. This is a fun exercise to do. You can really get a sense of who a person is just by seeing the 5 or 6 things they would grab if their house was burning down. Do you feel like you know me better from seeing the picture above? I almost feel like I know myself a little better. Feel free to leave a comment saying what 5 items you would grab. I’m interested to know!